Monday, November 24, 2008

Decorating has begun!!

Yes, I broke down and started decorating before Thanksgiving. I have never done that before, but it seems Thanksgiving is a little late this year. If I wait 'til after Thanksgiving, the Chrismas decor will only be up for 4 weeks. Too much goes into decorating for it to last only 4 weeks. So, the kids & I put up their tree upstairs Saturday. I had bought a small fake tree last year when we were living in a rental house (waiting for our home to be built). So, I thought that could be the kids tree this year. With this tree they can pile the ornaments all on one branch, and I'll deal with it because I know I'll have my own tree to decorate (why do they do that ...can't they see it looks better all spread out). ;0) I would always go behind them and secretly rearrange without them knowing, but I am going to leave it all alone this year and let them have their "beautiful" tree (we still need a tree topper!!). The kids have so many ornaments that they have made, and they love pulling them out and screaming "that's mine...I made that!!" They love to see their stuff on the tree, and it just makes their face light up seeing that I kept what they made. I also try and get them an ornament every year or so that has their picture on it...kids love looking back at pictures of themselves. We could spend all day just looking at the ornaments and reminiscing about when they were younger and the memories behind each ornament. We also did something new this year. We made popcorn strands to put on the tree. They all four made their own strands and really enjoyed themselves. Micah was the speedy one and beat them all sewing his popcorn strand. I didn't know if Zion and Trinity would be able to do it or not, but they both surprised me and did a great job. Now, we are waiting to see how long the popcorn stays on the tree before Dixie eats it off. She had the treat of eating all the crumbs that fell to the floor as we were working. So, I still have some decorating to do (we'll hopefully get our real tree Thanksgiving Day), but at least the process has begun. Maybe I'll get it all done by Christmas!!



3 comments:

Dan LaTour said...

Ha... I think we need to get a tree ASAP.. I haven't even seen them selling anywhere here yet. Love the pictures! I can't believe you have 4 kids and one of them is 8! Time fly’s by!

CristyLynn said...

They did a great job!
(and I really like that square-design carpet!)

Jessica LaTour said...

I ♥ their tree! What a great idea!