Friday, May 01, 2009

We'll reap what we sow, Hopefully!!









O.k., this week was the week to get the garden all ready...lots of work as the pictures show. We have talked about it long enough...action was needed. We've (well, lets be honest...Bobby) tilled the ground many times and added the needed fertilizers to the soil, which is a nasty red mud...so we'll have to see how well our garden grows. Monday and Tuesday nights were filled with planting the garden which is rather exciting. All the kids got involved in dropping the seeds in the rows--child labor is cheap!! No, they really did ask if they could help, and love to "play" in the dirt. I know they will enjoy watching as hopefully we have a harvest. Can I just say gardens are a whole lot of work!!! But, on the other hand there is nothing like fresh vegetables for supper!! I grew up watching my grandfather working from sun up to sun down in his garden (and watching my grandmother spend her days in the kitchen canning, freezing and cooking the food---how did they do it?!?)....and I took for granted the fresh produce that we received because of his labors. Now, that we are the ones doing the work I am all the more thankful for our food! I can't wait until our okra, cucumber, corn, canteloupe, squash, green beans, butter beans, hot banana peppers and tomatoes (and I'm sure I'm leaving something out--oh, we are trying habenero peppers too--HOT HOT) are ready to be eaten. That can stuff is for the birds--I'm already dreaming of fresh veggies!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you didn't plant your canteloupe and cucumbers anywhere near each other...they cross-polinate and last year we learned that and had cucaloupes--great big canteloupes--green and tasted just like cucumbers! Robin

Kelly said...

Oh dear?!? I think they are a couple rows apart...is that enough? This is our first time for planting canteloupe. Now I'm worried. I guess we'll see. Live and Learn!!