Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Are you smarter than a 6th grader?

Science projects really are fun (well, they can be if you don't wait until the last minute & have your mom running to the store to pick up the tools needed to make said project due the next day).  They take some work, but they also help ingrain what you are learning into your brain.  Hands on learning can do the trick with some kids.  Can you tell (without scrolling down the page) what the diagram below is of?  It would take me a few minutes to figure out if I didn't already know what he's studying. 

Here's a close up view...  (please excuse some of the gummy worms that fell out of place when the bowl got turned on it's side)  :)


Why, it's an animal cell of course!  Looks just like it, right?  Blue bowl = Cell membrane, Yellow playdough = Cytoplasm, Tennis ball = Nucleus, Spaghetti coming out of bouncy ball = Chromosomes, White puffy thingys = Endoplasmic Reticulum, Licorice = Mitochondrion, Cotton balls = Vacuoles, Red dots = Ribosomes.  I hope I got all that right...I'm not a Science whiz by no means, & Caleb can correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't that make perfect sense?  Now you can say you've seen an animal cell portrayed with normal household items...I know that makes your life more complete.

No comments: