Thursday, October 01, 2009

Parenting...Why So Hard?

Before children I'd watch these parents and kids and think to myself, "I'll never do that" or "My kids will never act that way." Since having children I've learned not to judge others because I've come to eat my words many a time. Parenting is just a full time job. I would never of thought it would be this hard, but it is work...although well worth it in the end.

We had a lesson on parenting Sunday in our Sunday school class. I can't stop thinking about some of the points one of our pastors shared...which obviously means I needed the lesson. I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you. He got them out of a book he read, and of course I forgot to write down which book. I need to go back and ask him.

* Ordinary moments make for extraordinary memories. I have found this to be so true with our family...it is the time spent together that is important (not necessarily what we are doing or the amount of money spent to doing it)
* Parents should become more transparent as kids get older...admit your wrongs. Even now there are times that our kids (although still young) have corrected me on things and I have to go back and apologize because I was wrong. But it isn't always easy.
* Pack in truth while your children are little and trust God to unpack it in His time. Wow! Such a simple statement, but so much truth in it!
* God hands out talents to our children. The one who practices his only two may be better off than the one who has five talents and only uses two. Faithfulnees with what God has given us is the key! It is so hard not to compare kids, but to encourage each one of them to use the talents God has given them wisely.
* Some days it is fine to accomplish nothing more than keeping our kids fed & safe. I give a hearty Amen! That is encouraging to hear someone say!!
* There is nothing wrong with boredom for your children--it causes them to be creative. In the age in which we live, kids are so entertained. I love it when our kids have to entertain themselves....playing inside or out without the distraction of the tv, computer, or video games. But, there are times I am thankful for the entertainment... I guess the key is balance.
* Teach your kids to be shock absorbers not wave makers.
* Teach your kids to notice needs and ask what can I do to help.
* Teach your kids to look adults in the eyes and speak which shows respect for authority. This is something our kids are working on. I can't stand for someone to speak to them and they automatically look down and don't speak back....frustration for dad & mom!! I know it is hard, but something they'll hopefully learn with time & practice.
* For mothers, the "I can do all Superwoman" is at best a myth and at worst a lie from hell. Again, I'm glad to hear someone say that because I am falling way behind if I had to do it all by myself!
* Prayer is a mighty weapon to use in the life of children. We have access to the God of heaven. I love that kids pray for everything...from small to big things. We could learn a lesson from them. Seems we sometimes forget to pray for the "little" things.
* God uses children as a mirror to our own heart which exposes error & hypocrisy. I'll give this one a hearty Amen too (Actualy I gave the whole lesson an Amen!) I hate seeing my own sin in my children.
* Let your children see you practicing hospitality and let them participate.
* Moral children do not equal Christian children. This is hard because we can't see their hearts, but we pray for Godly children not just good children.

These are some of the points that stuck with me. I love hearing sermons on parenting because I always need help and that is the stage we are in right now. It is also nice to hear that others have the same struggles as I do. We are never going to be perfect parents, but I hope I learned things from this lesson to make me a better parent to help point our kids to Christ.

3 comments:

CristyLynn said...

Thanks for sharing these points, Kelly, I really needed to hear some of those!

Dan LaTour said...

This is good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Kellie said...

Those are all so true. Parenting is such a hard job and one that keeps changing! The minute you "figured it out" they do something that changes it all! Thanks for sharing these. The "superwoman/Mom" part was where I was shouting an "AMEN!!!" with you!!!