Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dog Gone It!!

Let me start by saying that I do love our dear dog, Dixie. I have a special place in my heart for labs. (I grew up with a golden retriever that was my special friend...until we had to give him away because we were moving...I guess I still am a little bitter about that) Anyway, our chocolate lab is a beautiful dog that we have all grown to love. I was the one that fought tooth and nail NOT to get a dog and definitely not an inside dog. But, now when I look at her face, I know why I gave in to the other 5 who disagreed with me (actually I don't remember giving in...I think I was just overruled) I love her unconditional love, blah, blah, blah. O.K. you got all the good stuff, now let me tell you what I awoke to this morning.

First off, Dixie used to sleep in a crate in our garage, but she graduated to sleeping in the house a month or so ago and has done wonderfully (she quietly whines beside our bed if she needs to go potty). We have had no accidents in quite a while. We did learn (the hard way) that if you left anything out in the living room she would chew it up. (shoes, toys, cups, etc.) We all know to put everything away before bedtime and we shut the kids doors to their rooms so she wouldn't wander and get anything out of there. So, two nights ago I guess Dixie wanted to rebel, seeing that she had been good for so long. She decided to chew on two of my couch pillows...she tore holes in them and stuffing was all over the floor. She got her beating, but I was actually fairly calm about it. No big deal...she must of had an off night for some reason. I can always get more pillows later, right?!? So last night, Bobby made sure to put the other two pillows that we had left up so there would be no accident again. Well, guess what she did this time?? I awoke to find that she chewed on our couch cushion and there was stuffing again all over the floor!!! This is our new couch that we just bought 4 months ago, and now there are holes in the cushion and stuffing missing. WHAT?!?!? Remind me again why we have a dog!! Needless to say, Bobby gave the dog a beating that she will hopefully remember. I have no idea why she did it...she has never messed with our furniture at all. It is like she went crazy or something. I wanted to scream, "I just can't have anything nice!" ;) I didn't scream at all. I actually was rather calm. And to make matters a little better... Caleb and Micah got out the vacuum and helped clean up the mess...without being asked. That actually made me do a happy dance (not a very good one...but it made the kids smile). I told them that helped me feel a little better...my boys are maturing some, maybe the dog will follow their example. Yeah right, I know I'm dreaming. We'll see how well she likes a muzzle tonight. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would love to borrow your dog!!! I've been wanting a new couch for some time now and Mike has not given in. She may be the straw that breaks the camel's back!! LOL