
Since the kids were off school today and Bobby was off work for MLK day, we took the kids ice skating with the teens from church. What fun!!! For once I was the one saying "Oh, this is going to be a blast", and Bobby was the one saying, "Someone is going to break their neck...what are you thinking?!" The kids were thrilled to try something new. I actually thought about bringing their bike helmets, but I forgot them. Although it would have been a great idea. I saw some of the smaller kids with helmets on. Anyway, Bobby with his two bum knees didn't risk breaking any bones and stayed on the sidelines to take pictures (which incidentally I forgot to charge the camera battery so it died half way thru, but we got a few pictures). Caleb and Micah did great from the beginning...they shuffled their feet more than gliding but at least they didn't need a hand to stay up. They were going past people by the end. Trinity and Zion did awesome also, but they kept a hold of a hand. Thankfully MeeMaw was their to lend her hand. I was actually very surprised at all of their stick-to-it-tiveness (yes that is a word...perseverance would be another term I could have used) We were going to be there for 3 hours, and I honestly thought that a few times around the rink with all the falling and they would all be done, but they skated to the very end. Needless to say my arms are sore from being the balance for the Trin & Z. But, it really was a blast. I only fell once while trying to keep one of the kids up. Caleb had quite a few little falls, but nothing to write home about. Micah came away with a knot on his head but no big deal. Trinity fell backward once (and had many little slips) and knocked her noggin, but her hard head came in handy. And Zion I don't think ever fell. We all hope to go again. There were way to many people there to go fast at all, so maybe next time we can enjoy it more with room to move. I think with a little practice (and maybe a helmet) Trinity and Zion could go out on their own. Cheers to a fun day off work (well, I worked a half day but who's counting) and school...now I am going to get a cup of coffee and soak in a tub (the perfect end to a perfect day!!).
The Initial Encounter with the Ice
Caleb trying to balance. (notice the swarms of people)
Micah got the hang of it!!
MeeMaw giving Trin an extra hand.
Mom helping out Z.

No comments:
Post a Comment