Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Marley & Me

We took the family to see Marley and Me last weekend. We've got a theater in Graham that is only $3 a person (it used to be $2 and it recently went up--and we're still a little bitter), so we wait until the movies come there (which is a few weeks after they are in regular theaters) so we can all go and not break the bank. This theater also has free refills on drink and popcorn so we always have to indulge ourselves...really what is a movie without popcorn?? They loose money on us because we refill many a time (I'm talking 4 or more refills). It is a fun family thing that we do for just about all of the movies that the kids can watch.

Anyway, I got a little emotional at the end of the movie...I was actually crying rather hard. I learned after the fact that this was a true story and the movie was based on a book. I probably would have been even more emotional having known it was a true story before hand. Micah was my only child that got a little teary too--at least he was the only one who would admit it. I thought it was a fairly good movie, but why not end on a good note. The book ends with them getting a new dog, so why not put that in the movie. At least then I could have got control of myself before leaving the theater. Oh well...Take a look at the note Micah wrote to us after coming home from the movie. I thought it was rather sweet and showed his compassionate side. In case you can't see the pictures very well...the picture is of Micah throwing a frisbee to Dixie and the note says, "Mom and Dad, Please don't let Dixie die because we all love her." That made me tear up all over again!! Needless to say we have become rather attached to Dixie, so I hope she is with us for a while!!



3 comments:

Loraena Tuttle said...

Oh man. Now I know that I had better NOT watch that movie any time soon - we have to get rid of our dog and I'm already putting it off, which is getting kind of irritating to Josh...

On a happier note - Wish we had a theater like that around here!

Hilary Brown said...

I went to that movie, too and I cried-really cried, too. Our puppy is a yellow lab and I could just envision all that for Luey. I thought that the death was so prolonged and I agree with you about the ending. I don't understand for the life of me why they didn't include that happier ending of getting a new dog...hmmm...there were little girls in the theater sobbing which just got to me, too. That little note your little guy wrote is touching. I really enjoy your blog!!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!

We had to put our cat to sleep a couple of years ago. We were about to get hardwood floors put in and it would have cost tons of money to board him during that week because he was so sick. So the remodeling kind of helped us to make that very hard decision that it was time to end his suffering.

Unfortunately, our kids see it as "our parents wanted wood floors so they killed our cat".

I'm sure we'll never hear the end of this one. =)