Why am I surprised when my kids get into trouble or do something wrong? I mean they are sinners right??? For some reason, as a parent, I expect them to want to do right (not just because Dad & Mom said so but because we are commanded to in the Bible and they want to obey God) Of course that is a correct reasoning to teach a child, but for a child who isn't saved, the Holy Spirit hasn't quickened his heart for him to seek the right. So for him to naturally want to do right in himself...that just isn't there. I still let them know that not only have they disobeyed Dad & Mom, but most importantly they have disobeyed God. But, for me to expect them to have God centered desires...what was I thinking?!?
I had one child who did something yesterday at school that made the teacher have a little chat with me. Of course, my heart ached for him because he sinned. But also in my sinful nature, I was hurt because I want people to see how he is a "good" child (in other words I had to deal with my pride...obviously that sinfulness doesn't go away naturally even as a saved adult) Then, I had to get my mind and attitude back on track. I don't want to have just a "good" child and I never want him to think that he is in trouble just because he embarrassed dad or mom. I want to have a child that is striving to be more like God. My utmost desire is to see my children saved and serving God, but I know that is in God's timing and good pleasure. But for now, I need to be doing what I know to do so that I will be a fit vessel for God to use, if He so chooses, in aiding in the salvation of our children. I am so thankful that God is in control!!
No comments:
Post a Comment