Monday, September 22, 2008

A Day of Firsts

Our kids are growing up so fast!! Our oldest is half-way to driving and the others are right behind...which means they will be off to college before we know it. (so sad & scary to think about which makes me pray all the more earnestly for our childrens' salvation and protection) All that to say, Micah (our 6 year old) had a day of firsts last week.

He got a new bike for his birthday in April and has been asking ever since for us to take off his training wheels. Not that we were trying to be mean, but we just forgot. Every time he mentioned it we weren't home, so we would say o.k. when we get home remind us and we'll do it. Finally, while Bobby was in Mexico on a missions trip (in June, two months after the birthday) I set out to taking them off. I got one off with great ease, but I couldn't get the other off. So, trying to be creative, I told him to try it with just the one training wheel. (which had to be more safe than taking both off at the same time, right?) Well, it didn't feel right to him so he just let it go. Finally, last week (5 months after his birthday), Bobby took the other one off and guess what....he rode with no problems and no falls to date. It really wasn't procrastination on our parts. We honestly forgot to do it. Does that make us horrible parents? No, I know it doesn't, but I sure hope others have the same memory problems!! ;)



Then, I finally taught him how to tie his shoes. We really do want our kids to grow up some, but somehow these things (riding a bike and learning to tie shoes) just fell by the wayside. In kidergarten I got him velcro shoes to help the teachers out, but by 1st grade I will venture up to laces for them. So, I did the same this year, but didn't think to teach him to tie them. It took two weeks of him coming home from school with his shoes untied and laces dragging in the dirt for me to wake up and teach him. We made it part of his homework Thursday and of course he had no problem. Just like with the bike, he had been ready and waiting for his mom to help him out. Anyway, although it is sad to see our children grow up, my heart was filled with joy while watching him ride his bike and tie his shoes....next he'll be shaving!! Yeah Micah, I am so proud of you!!!

1 comment:

reformed mom said...

You're a great parent. Some make the mistake of pushing their kids too soon to do things to keep up the status quo - Not that Micah wasn't ready earlier... but the key is that he WAS ready. It is so much better for them to be successful in these early tasks than to make them feel incompetent... which then spills over to other areas of their lives. I had to learn early not to push, not to compare, and wait until they were ready. I had one that didn't read until 2nd grade but now he is reading above his level and loves reading! Kelly, you've got great kids, I've enjoyed getting to know Caleb and now Micah on Wednesday night. I'm really happy for him! :) ~Darla