Friday, June 29, 2012

It's a Wrap

Baseball season is over.  We just wrapped up the rec league with our last game last night.  I'm kind of disappointed it's all over, which surprises me.  I actually have come to enjoy watching his team play (and it doesn't help that I really like chatting with all the other families too).  But I am looking forward to having more "free time" as a family during the week now that we'll have our Tuesday & Thursday nights back.

Anyway, Caleb had a great game last night! One of his best I think.  He had a hit all three times he was up to bat, he played a little in the left field, right field, and also 2nd base.  We went into this last game with a little fear & trembling becauseTuesday night's game was a rough one for him.  He went to a special batting practice Monday & really worked hard on batting properly.  Then he struck out his three times up at bat and was very discouraged.  He isn't one to beat himself up, but after his third strike out I saw his tears of frustration (before he put his sunglasses back on so noone would see) which breaks this momma's heart.  All I wanted to do was run to the dugout & give him a big hug and tell him how proud we were of him.  But Bobby talked some sense into me & helped me realize that I would totally embarrass him more (and also that being frustrated with yourself is okay--he had a bad game & he knew it). 

So before this game I reiterated how proud we are of him no matter what the outcome of his performance.  We've said it over & over again--"Always do your best, but have fun!"   "Sports at your age is all about learning."  Bobby has told him so many times that noone remembers their junior varsity record.  Who cares that during the school year they lost every game, but during the recreational league that won all but one?  He won't remember that in a couple of years, but he hopefully will have learned the basics of the game & be able to play better.  And when the team had such a great game as their last game of the season we were were all excited.  We celebrated after the game with homemade blackberry cobbler, vanilla icecream, and a little family game time with Sequence...not too shabby if you ask me.

So, farewell baseball for now.  I know Caleb will continue to practice for next season, but it is on to soccer for now.  Soccer practice starts shortly & he's got to get into shape. :o)







The proud parents supporting our ACS Warriors!!

I think the other kids will miss playing with their friends too.

No comments: