Thursday, October 27, 2011

Weekend Away

Well, Bobby & I finally got our much needed weekend away with friends.  We tried to go a couple of months ago, but had a last minute change of plans. Looking back, I'm glad we went this past weekend instead because the leaves were gorgeous (it was peak season at the cabin where we were staying in Virginia) & we were able to do more things outside since we didn't have to worry with heat. Yes, we know God makes no mistakes, and His plan was for us to go this weekend in October, and for that we are grateful. 

So we distributed the kiddos & Abi to four different homes and left out of here first thing Friday morning.  The trip up into the mountains was fun in itself.  The beauty we saw during the ride was breathtaking.  Bobby taught us all what hoar frost was after seeing it on the mountain tops...good times. (Look it up--it's the correct term. Although I'd heard of it, I did google it to verify he was correct)


We made our first stop in Damascus, Virgina to take a ride on the Virginia Creeper Trail (it's a 34 mile trail in all--we did half of it).  It was beyond awesome.  Seriously a great experience--we hope to take the kids back and do it with them too.  Our friends had done it several times before so they were old pro's at it. I'm just glad they thought about this trail when we were making plans. It was a little cool outside (we acutally made a pit stop for gloves), but it was gorgeous! 

Everyone chose whcih bike they wanted (I choose one for comfort not looks), then we piled in the van for the ride up the mountain (a little naseous for some of us--poor Melanie got the worst of it). We got dropped off, and we startd our adventure.  The 17 mile ride was mostly a breeze since it was coming down the mountain.  But I will say my rear was a little sore just from sitting on the bike for a few hours.   












We stopped at this lovely place a couple of hours into our ride & had lunch.  Good old healthy burger, onion rings, chocolate cake & a milkshake to give us fuel for the rest of our ride.
 

After the bikeride we headed to the cabin we were staying in for the weekend. 















After waking up Saturday morning & eating breakfast we went for a walk on another nearby trail.  Then decided it'd be fun to rent a boat for a little a couple of hours.  Since their rental season ended that same weekend, they were out of some of the boats.  So we went with the pontoon (which is what I would of chosen anyway--comfort & style).  It was a beautiful day, so we got to relax and enjoy the beauty of God's creation. 







Of course we ate some delicious food (and I'll confess I ate way too much).  Steak, twice baked potatoes, and bread was to die for.  Then, we had sausage gravy (made by the famous cook, Melanie) and biscuits one morning. The next morning the guys made breakfast for us...eggs, grits, sausage & toast.  It was wonderful. I sat & read my book while listening and smelling the aromas of breakfast.



This was our view as we closed up the gate to the cabin as we left.  It was sad to leave it all behind and go home.  It's alway good to get away & relax, but we had an extra special time this weekend being able to get way with good friends. 


1 comment:

Kellie said...

Looks wonderful! Glad you could get away and enjoy yourselves. Steve and I need to do that, too. Beautiful views!!!