Tuesday, October 04, 2011

First Broken Bone

I knew the day would come when one of our kids would break a bone.  I actually am a little surpirsed it didn't happen sooner, but I didn't think our little girl would be the first.  She was out playing soccer with her brothers Wednesday night before church and fell on her wrist wrong.  At the time I was home alone with the kids (Bobby was on second shift) and we were in the process of loading up in the car to go to church.  I honestly thought maybe she just sprained it, so I put ice on it and we went off to church (in my mind I was thinking she'd be fine a few minutes down the road).  Her crying didn't let up which was my first sign.  My second sign (and major red flag) was when she asked me to pull the car over--she was getting nauseous from the pain of her wrist moving on every bump in the road.  Let's just say it is no fun to see your child in pain & know there is nothing you can do for her in the moment.  I dropped all the other kids off at church, asked my mom to bring them home, and Trin & I went off to get x-rays.  After a couple hours at an urgent care and the next morning at an orthopedic doctors office, she was told she had fractured her wrist and fitted by choice with her carolina blue cast.  She keeps that cast for a week and then we go to be x-rayed again & fitted for another cast which she'll have for 3 more weeks. She's a trooper for sure.



She was actually very proud of her cast.  Thought is was rather cool for a while until she realized that it's not very easy to write, or bath, or do a lot of the every day things she is used to doing with ease.
But, doesn't a happy meal from McD's make everything better??
I was allowed to be the first person to sign her cast.  I feel so privileged.
By the time she came home from school her cast was full of signatures & well wishes. 

2 comments:

Jessica LaTour said...

Sweet girl! I remember being a kid + wishing to have things like a broken arm or braces. I hope she heals quickly!

Kellie said...

Oh, bless her! She is definitely a trooper. Those little bones heal so quickly... so thankful for that. :) Hope she is still handling it OK. :)