Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gingerbread House

The festivities have been going strong in our home for quite a while now. We broke out the gingerbread house for the first time this year with our family. I learned a lot as a rookie decorator. #1 Make sure there is extra candy for the kids to munch on while decorating--it really isn't as fun when you can't sample what you're using (but I didn't have a lot of extra so I banned them from eating the gingerbread house candy & then I went out and bought some for us to eat). #2 Make more than one house--next year we'll do at least two. Trinity definitely had a differnt plan than the boys, and just having one side of the house to work with isn't quite enough. #3 It is much harder to decorate than it looks--but that is what makes it fun. The finished product just sits in our house for us to enjoy, and we love it. So who cares if the icing around the windows & doors looks like a two year old did it (when it was a 34 year old who actually did that part). I didn't think the kids would notice, but they did come home the other day after seeing two different friends' gingerbread houses and stated that ours ranked rather low on the pretty scale. I still think I'll keep this tradition going, and we'll hope the houses get better & better each year.





No comments: