Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Fabulous Fair

The NC State Fair is here again (which of course is a wonderful thing and a curse to our family). Bobby works security at the fair which means he is gone for 12 days straight working 16 hour shifts each night. But the kids love going each year (not only to see Daddy but to ride the rides & eat the food). This year was the most fun yet. The kids are getting older so they can ride a lot of the rides now (which also means more money for tickets). I can remember the days of the double stroller trying to push two kids around while watching the other two like a hawk to make sure they didn't wander off. It has gotten a lot easier, but more expensive. They truely had a blast and have been talking about it ever since.

I'm not a huge fan of "fair food", but we always give something new a try. I've done the fried snickers and fried cheesecake (didn't really care for either one), and this year we all tried the fried honeybun. It was just okay to me. Micah & Caleb loved theirs. Trinity & Zion had us pull off the fried coating and they just ate the honeybun inside (a rather expensive plain honeybun I might add). I tend to stick with my old faithfuls...pizza for supper and cotton candy & caramel apple with nuts to go. Occasionally I'll throw in a candied apple too, but I don't want to get too crazy. You can't go to the fair without trying something unusual, so each year we invest what seems to be a large amount of money to try a new treat. And we almost always say we'll never get that again, but at least we can say we tried it. We didn't go for the newest thing this year which was the Krispy Kreme burger (instead of a bun you have two donuts). It didn't look appealing, and I wasn't feeling all that adventuresome.


Caleb also got some mozzarella sticks that were absolutely magnificent. They were the best I've ever had. I actually would like some right now, but I don't think that can happen, unfortunately.


We hate we can't go every day to visit Daddy & enjoy all the fun. But school, work, and our pocketbooks tell us to wait (and save up) for next year.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

These are fantastic pictures! I enjoyed reading about your adventures in eating at the fair this year.Glad you had a good time! :)

Did you pre-purchase your tickets? Maybe next year you can do this especially with the ride tickets. They ARE expensive.

Kellie said...

WE LOVE THE FAIR as you know. Glad y'all had a great time. I didn't realize Bobby worked it EVERY night!! We'll have to see if we can see him on Saturday. Does he work a particular area?

Jessica LaTour said...

Love the picture of you & the kids on the log ride! So much fun!