Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Blessed Beyond Measure

I am learning more and more that birthdays come and go quickly.  I guess when we get older, we realize all the more that age is just a number.  I celebrated my 35th (yes I am 35, and I do realize that I am getting older by the minute!) birthday last week.  If I had my choice, there would be no hoopla, just a night where I didn't have to cook would be wonderful. 

This year Bobby was on second shift the week of my birthday, so I had planned on having to cook this year.  No big deal...it's just another day.  But he surprised me by taking the day off so we could celebrate as a family.  Quality time is my love language, so I was oh so thankful to see him still at home when I came home from work.

Abi wanted to go shopping the weekend before my birthday to buy me a present.  What a sweet girl she is.  After telling her not to buy me anything, I gave in and asked Bobby to take her shopping (although I wanted to go, I didn't want to spoil the surprise).  So Trinity, Abi & Bobby went to have some "girl" time. & shopped til they dropped. :)  Abi gave me my present the morning of my birthday before school.  I love the perfume she chose (although I still wish she wouldn't have bought anything)!  I'll always think of her when I wear it.


My sister surprised me by sending me roses at work.  They were beautiful & my office looked rather festive with them in it.


So, not only did Bobby take off work, but he also made me a cake.  And not just a normal cake...a three layer red velvet cake.  It was the tallest cake I'd seen in quite some time.  The layers were giant sized, and I was very impressed with his baking skills.  I think he said he used two cake mixes & three containers of icing.  It's one of those times that you don't want to think of all the calories that are in what you're eating.  I just took a pass on counting fat or calories since it was my birthday (what am I saying??--I haven't counted calories in way too long).  The cake looked fabulous & was equally delicious.  We had so much, we  shared & delivered pieces to my parents & Bobby's family too...gotta spread the love around.



I was told to choose a restaurant to eat at, and I chose Olive Garden.  I don't usually branch out to try new restaurants when I know what I like.  I was in the mood for some soup, salad & breadsticks, so that was our dinner for the night.  And of course it was delicious!!


I am definitely blessed! I have the best husband in the world, who always makes me feel loved & appreciated.  I have the best kids too, who show their love for me daily.  And I appreciate all the love that was shown to me by friends & family for my birthday.  I am thankful for each friendship, and I know I am blessed beyond measure.

2 comments:

CristyLynn said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a great day, and that cake looks fantastic! Glad you were treated so well. :)

Kellie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! I am glad you enjoyed it with your family! Enjoy the 30's for me... I think I miss them. lol