Wednesday, April 13, 2011

We're Camping in the Rain!

Another camping trip has come and gone.  We planned to go with another couple this past weekend, but the wife ended up getting sick beforehand and they had to cancel.  Of course we were sad, but we decided to go on with our plan and make the best of it.  Thursday Bobby & I went down and camped without the kids for one night (a nice treat--we don't get that opportunity very often so we ran with it).  We came back and picked up the kids from school on Friday and  continued the fun with them. 

Although we truly had tons of fun, we have a bone to pick with the weatherman.  I was faithful to check the weather report up until the day we left, and nowhere did it say there was going to be torrential downpours two nights in a row.  Sure they mentioned scattered showers, but that isn't what we got!  That's okay, you can try and beat us down, but we'll have fun inspite of it.  We pulled out our old, faithful board & card games and enjoyed some dominos, apples to apples & sequence--fun times were had by all.  And of course we had our old standby of watching a movie.  We ran out and rented Tangled (which we all thought was stupendous!!)  Of course I have no pictures of us inside the camper playing...I was in the moment at the time trying to make lemonade out of lemons.






In between the rain storms, we still had bunches of fun with the normal camping things.  We are a hiking family, so we went on hikes thru the trails in the woods.  This trip we tried a new thing--incorporating hide-n-go-seek & hiking.  It was a success with the kids.  Each one had a turn where they would run ahead of us and hide in the woods and it was our job to spot them before walking past them.  I must admit that I enjoyed it about as much as the kids...except for the laying down in the woods hiding next to a log & waiting for a snake to crawl out on me before they found me. 




Oh, and we can't forget that there was a VW convention nearby on this weekend.  So we  were flooded with lots and lots of the VW campers you see below.  It honestly looked like we were back at Woodstock...and we actually enjoyed it.  They were overly nice people just having fun.



And seeing that we are the LaTours and we don't do anything half way, we had to end in a bang.  We were all packed up and ready to call the kids in and pull out, when Zion came riding his bike to us saying Caleb had a fishing lure in his lip.  Really?  You gotta be kidding?  What in the world?  So we ran down and sure enough, Zion was telling the truth (for once). :o)  Needless to say, 3 hours in an urgent care wasn't in our plan for Sunday night, but that is where we ended up.  Caleb was fishing and saw a snake at his foot  & jerked...thus his own lure in his lip.  But, thank the Lord, you wouldn't even know anything happened if I didn't have pictures to prove it.  7 shots later, the doctor pulled the lure out of a very courageous boy's lip with no porblem at all.  It's amazing to me that you can't even tell he ever did anything.  We are very thankful that the lure came out without leaving a scar & even more thankful that the lure went into his lip and not his eye--which would have been a disaster. 



Despite all the unplanned happenings on this trip, I'd say this was one of our more fun times.  You gotta love some good, quality family time!  I only wish we could do it more (and of course that the weather would cooperate with us).

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Oh wow about Caleb!! I'm glad he's OK. Your blog is always so upbeat and fun. It makes me wish I were part of your clan. :)

Kellie said...

I was enjoying your adventure right to the part of Caleb's mishap! OUCH! So glad he is ok! :)

Dan LaTour said...

Haaa. Wow! Hopefully that's the last piercing he gets. LOL. Poor guy! Hope it's all better! I love that you guys go camping. Looks like so much fun!