Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs

One of Caleb's big projects this year was a bug project. He had to collect at least 10 bugs and display them creatively naming each bug. He also had to write reports on two of the bugs he collected. We started searching for bugs last year because we had been told it was a big thing in 4th grade (and you know when you actually need bugs there are no bugs around--so we had to start early). MeeMaw actually brought back some great bugs from Mexico when they went on a missions trip which helped out a lot. I've already started a collection for Micah, and he has 2 years until his project. I guess they'll be a container in my freezer with dead bugs in it for the next several years until all of our kids are past the 4th grade.

Caleb's theme was a bug graveyard. We did coffins for each bug which were jewelry boxes spray painted black & grey. And their tombstones were styrofoam squares spray painted grey. Then Caleb wrote the names of each bug on it. MeeMaw even helped us line the coffins in silk (we must give them the proper burial, right?). We had a bunch of bugs left over after we decided which ones would be the main bugs, so we lined them up on the road thru the graveyard like they were in a funeral procession. Caleb found a matchbox police car that could also hold a dead bug which topped the procession all off. I thought it turned out rather cute, well as cute as a bug project can be. I guess we shall see what the grade will be, but in my book it is a definite A+.

5 comments:

Debra LaTour said...

that is so incredibly gross!! isn't it? or is it just me. I hate bugs!!!! cool idea with the graveyard though! came out great!

Dan LaTour said...

Haaa pretty cool! Great work! A+

CristyLynn said...

That is so great! I would totally give him and A+!

Jessica LaTour said...

How do you top a project like that?! Kudos on the collection, that's impressive!

Cherith said...

That is a great idea--hilarious!! since my kids won't be going to the same school, I'll have to steal the idea when it comes time for our bug collections :)