Sunday, September 02, 2012

To the Mountains We Go!

Why not take a quick trip to the mountains for a day?  Sounded good to us.  We had originally planned on spending the weekend camping in the mountains.  But when that didn't quite work out, we decided to just spend the day up there.  Ever since Bobby & I went on our anniversary trip, we knew we wanted to take the kids back and let them experience all the fun we had...so that is exactly what we did.  The only thing we didn't get to do was the outdoor drama--it was closed for the season, so we'll have to see that on another trip.
 
 
Of course we had to make a few quick stops to take in the scenery on the way up & just to stretch our legs.
 

  
We left home around 7:30 last Saturday morning, and our first major stop was Linville Caverns.  A very cool thing to see, even the second time around.  The kids really loved seeing & learning about the caverns.
 
 

 
Then we headed over to the Linville Falls.  We hiked a little ways up to see some gorgeous views, and then hiked back down to the falls.  What beauty!
 
 
 

 








Then it was off to Rough Ridge overlook.  It was very muddy in some places, but it was well worth the hike when you get to the top.


 
 


 
 
I can't forget to mention that Zion was the first one out on the rock above while Bobby & I were helping Trinity maneuver over rocks & water to make it to the top.  And when Bobby & I got to Zion, he was literally skipping from rock to rock (notice there is no railing so a fall would mean pretty much death or some sort of major injury if we could even get to him).  I won't repeat the lecture that Bobby gave him, but all around got to hear him instruct our child that he was flirting with death.  I doubt the speech made a huge impact seeing he has no fear, but next time he'll know better.
 
 

And last but not least, we promised a stop at Mast General Store for some candy.  This is always a highlight of our trip to the mountains, and it didn't let us down this year either.



Once again I am just thankful to be able to spend time as a family.  Family is a major priority for us, and as the years go by we are realizing we don't have much time left with them in our home.  So we strive to make the best of all the time we have left!  And now we look forward to our next trip which we'll be leaving for next week ...Disney World!!

No comments: