What a whirlwind the last couple of weeks have been! Our family is finally back to our normal routine, but it took a week or more to catch up. We were blessed to be able to take a week off of work & school and enjoy a trip to Disney World. It was a dream of mine to be able to take the kids & I'm so thankful we were able to do it this year. The kids were at the perfect ages to have an absolute blast! Yes, I know we went two weeks ago, but it has taken me this long to have the time & "want to" to write this post. The kids were out of school for a few days this week, so I thought while I have a spare minute I need to start knocking out writing a few memories before I forget. I wrote this whole post yesterday, was ready to post it, and I hit a button that deleted the whole thing...and of course I hadn't saved it. Needless to say, I was ill and had to wait another day before the "want to" came bach and I could to post again. Our week long stay has so much to tell that I'll need to do a couple of posts, but better late than never in starting the first one.
It all started on Saturday morning with a wake up around 3:15. Bobby worked the night before &when he got home that morning he woke us all up to get on the road. Funny that all the kids had no problem getting up at that ungodly hour. :) We were already packed, so we jumped in the suburban & headed out to meet the friends we were going with. The "other family" was a the Jamison's. Nicholas works with Bobby & they brought along two of their kids that mixed right in with the ages of ours...which made for some fun memories for sure.
11 hours later (after quite a few stops for potty & food & coffee) we landed at our house in Florida. First on the agenda after unpacking was for the wives to hit the grocery store so we could feed this motly crew. Then it was just lounging around the house the rest of the day Saturday & most of the day Sunday. The kids (actually all of us) loved all the amenities...pool, hot tub, game room & the adults got in some vicious games of poker too. We were all quite content to hang around and just play together. I loved seeing how much the kids enjoyed getting to know each other. Zion & Nicholas (their 8 year old son) were two peas in a pod. They had their legos out playing within 5 minutes of being introduced.
Sunday night we did venture out to Downtown Disney. Lots of fun things to see there. I think their favorite was the lego store, but all the sights were interesting.
Then Monday was our day to go to Magic Kingdom. It was an awesome (and insert all other fabulous adjectives), but long & tiring day. They were open from 9 a.m.-10p.m. and we were there for all 13 hours (wanted to get our moneys worth). :) Oh, and I've never heard so many different languages being spoken--quite amazing & weird at the same time.
The ferry ride over was cool. It was neat to see their faces when they got a glimpse of Cinderella's castle...priceless.
We finally made it!!
Our first ride was Buzz Lightyear, of course. (and a good one to start out with) I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids.
Trin got to meet up with Chip & Dale while us braver folks rode Space Mountain for the second time. She did great the first ride, but wasn't up for a repeat.
Rides, rides, & more rides.
This Dumbo ride was by far the most ridiculous one there. We waited way to long (and I still don't know why we were waiting--probably sat on the ride for a good 5 minutes waiting for it to start) to ride this less than 30 second "ride." But, hey, at least we can say we tried & we definitely made a memory.
Oh, the Swiss Family Robinson Tree. Bobby was oh so thrilled with this (it's one of his favorite childhood movies). And yes, we just so happened to have the movie with us, so he coerced the children into watching it since the Jamison kids hadn't seen it. Once again...memories. :)
A lovely way to cool down on a hot day.
They sure know how to put on a show. I was enamored with watching all the characters myself.You got to go on It's A Small World--that's an all time classic!
We did break down & eat in Disney. It broke the bank, but worth it.
The parades were neat to see too. You can't help but smile & have fun & dance too.
The Electrical Parade starts at 9:00. Some people were saving their seats at 7:00 and just sitting so they'd have front row views. That wasn't on the top of our priorites and actually sounded crazy to us. We decided to keep riding rides for the next two hours & then just do the best we could. So, we didn't have an awesome view, but the kids were okay with that. Plus people get vicious when it comes to standing in lines...lots of pushing and breaking in front of you even when we thought we had a good spot. Disney wasn't the happiest place on earth during this phase of our trip. By the 12th hour of dealing rude people that spoke all different languages, we were all starting to get a little pushed to our limits. But once again, memories were made & it was all worth it.
But we had a fantastic view of the fireworks. And they put on quite a show. I must insert a funny story here--this is the one thing the kids remember most about the fireworks. There was a huge crowd, obviously...most everyone that came to the park stays for the fireworks & are crowding around the castle to get a good view. Everyone sitting on the street were sitting & everyone wanting to stand were stading on the sidewalk...except for these 3 "ladies". They were just standing in the middle of the street with everyone sitting around them. Big problem--if they stand the people sitting behind them can't see. So the people sitting directly behind them (afer waiting until the firewords were getting ready to start) asked them to please sit. Now, what would be the polite thing--sit or move to the side & stand, right?. Once again, the happiest place on earth didn't hold up to it's name. Their response was loud enough for all around to hear, & I quote, "If they wanted us to sit down for the fireworks, they would have given us chairs!" Oh my word! We were flabbergasted at the rudeness of people & didn't know how to respond. So now we have 3 "ladies" against a huge crowd of people. The crowd (including us) started chanting, "SIT DOWN! SIT DOWN! SIT DOWN!" To no avail. Rude people are just rude people & there is no help for them. But we loved the fireworks none the less (thankfully they weren't blocking our view--although I did get their shadows in most of my pictures) & have a great story to tell.
After the fireworks ended, the mad rush to get out began. And again, the rudeness of people floors me. All I wanted to do was make sure my four kids made it out in one piece & with me, but there were many who tried to stand in our way. I won't even get into the Italian man that tried to pick a fight with Bobby--priceless!
But all kidding aside, we had a great day! So many memories were made that we will all have for a lifetime. Once again I am so thankful that we got this opportunity for our family to go.
Next post will be Animal Kingdom--another fun day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment