I don't feel as if I can ever get ahead on things. No matter what I get accomplished there is always more to do...job security I guess and I know that is just the life of every mom. But, I have come to the realization that some things can wait more than others, so I'm learning to prioritize (putting family time before getting every dish cleaned isn't going to kill me--it actually is good in the long run).
All that to say I am trying to plan ahead on our meals for the week....which feeding my family is something that definitely can't wait and is a huge priortiy to us. If I can plan ahead, it makes for a much smoother week. I know all moms are busy, and sometimes it is just plain hard to get a good meal on the table each night. I found myself getting into a routine of cooking the same things over and over (probably switching between about 10 recipes)...which gets old to everyone (especially my family who loves to eat). So I have made it my mission to try a couple of new to us recipes each week. I'm tyring to mix things up a little which is good for us all, but I know Bobby loves different foods so it was especially for him (which thankfully he has appreciated). The first two weeks went rather well, and to have my meals already planned out was such a load off my back. I did make one recipe that was a flop. Everything turned out right, but it wasn't our cup of tea. I threw the recipe away after we all ate it, and I felt so bad that I made some brownies that night to make up for it. I thinked it worked cause I haven't heard anyone mention anything else about the horrid casserole that mom made.
I thought I'd share one recipe that we all loved. I found it in Paula Deen's cookbook (and how can you go wrong with Paula Deen!!!). It is nothing unusual, just a new to me chicken-pot-pie recipe that was delicious and easy. Although I used turkey instead of chicken. I had cooked a turkey earlier on in the week so of course we had left overs, and I was searching for a recipe to use up the rest of the turkey...thus Turkey Pot Pie.
Chicken Pot Pie
1-10 3/4 oz. can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1-10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
1 chicken, skinned, cooked, boned, & cubed
1 medium onion, diced
1-10 oz. package frozen peas (or 1-8 oz. can, drained)
3 carrots, sliced, cooked,& drained
Salt & pepper to taste
1 pastry for top and bottom (see recipe below)
Butter to dot pastry
Heat soups & milk in large saucepan. Stir in chicken, onion, pease, carrots, salt & pepper. Cook until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour into pastry lined 13x9x2 pan. Cut pastry for top into strips and lary over pie filling in a lattice style. Dot with butter. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Pastry:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
3/4 cup shortening
Ice water
Sift flour, salt, & baking powder together. Cut in shortening until pieces are size of small peas. Sprinkly 1-2 T. ice water over part of mixture and gently toss with fork. Repeat adding water until all is moistened. Form into 2 balls. Flatten each on floured surface and roll until 1/8 in. thick.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing! I have found planning our meals a week at a time has been a great time and money saver for us. Now I just hope to get back to cooking again soon!
That looks delicious! And my hats off to you, planning meals is my Achilles heel.
Yummmmmm
Post a Comment